Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow


Jason:

Yes, it has been over two weeks since I have put together a post, but who is counting?  It’s not like I’m counting down weeks until I get to go home or anything like that!  January has been fairly uneventful, other than the breakthrough of getting WiFi connection in our tents.  Weather has been a little chilly, just above freezing temps when the sun is hiding, but lately we have been in the high 60s during the work day.  I don’t have much news to report on the project, but we are almost complete with section six of seven, yay.  It will be nice to have this project finished so we can think more about how to palletize all the equipment to send out of here.  But let’s not get too ahead of ourselves, ha.

This week’s favorite song comes from one of my favorite movies, O Brother, Where Art Thou?  You have probably heard it once or twice before performed by the infamous Soggy Bottom Boys, a song titled “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow.”  I like the song this week mainly based on the title; lately I have been feeling a little sorrow everyday as I continually miss home and my second half, Melissa!  However, as sorrowful I may feel the upbeat guitar and twang country voices automatically puts a smile on my face.  The routine out here in our camp is getting old to say the least.  Mainly the living conditions with 30 plus, some quite messy, guys.  And since I am not yet a Staff Sergeant, I and twelve other “airman” have had the extravagance of cleaning our bathroom every day since mid December, with April being the end in sight.  Joy.  The dining facility has pretty good food, but I am simply burnt out of eating the food here three times a day.  Thanks again for all that have sent snack food; it has really helped break up the tastes out here!  My time at the gym, watching movies, and TV shows has increased this month.  The effect has been a decrease in my time relaxing with music and reading.  I have been enjoying a book from Jama, titled the Resolution for Men, and I plan on reading through it again at home so I can put some of the wisdom into use :)  The author speaks a lot about how men need to lead a spiritual life within their families, and the importance of inspiring faith in their children.  Again, I dream of my wife and our families…sigh.  I can’t wait to be home.  Until that day I take comfort in a verse Melissa gave me to hold onto while I am away.  Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  I may be a man of sorrow, but at least I’m not a man of CONSTANT sorrow, ha.  Praise God for instilling courage and faith into our hearts wherever we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment